Monday 25 May 2015

Dont read this- Im off again about having a voice and politics- personal views only. Florence Nightingale scholar


A few years ago we had all heard of The Big Society!

It all seems quiet now but we live in a World where people caring for others and being willing to "step up" is essential to the future. A few months ago I spent a fantastic day at The Houses of Parliament with a local MP and had the pleasure of meeting Women's Aid and Girl Guides advocates who were talking about "see me, hear me, believe me". Whilst this relates to women's issues the same powerful meaning can be applied to anyone who's voice is not always heard and also, in many cases, to their carers.

It appears to be increasingly hard for people to have their voices heard or indeed needs met. Whilst the NHS is a political football tossed between the political parties as a re- election tool, we can lose sight of the people we are trying so hard to serve. Whilst MPs talk about the managers and fat cats, I struggle to find any- as they have been decimated and reduced down to a minimum. What the public rarely see is that most of them are also clinicians trying hard to provide high quality services with ever reducing finances. There are plenty of fat cats around but I suspect you won't see them in hard pressed providers and no one looks anywhere else!  We in provider land (the Trusts from which/or in which you receive services)  can flex and innovate, and are willing to do so. But when the services we work with have ever strapped finances and are changing their criteria for access to accommodate the changing financial climate, we will never win the battle without change. I’m thinking particularly of social services who are experiencing unprecedented cuts to finances. We in the NHS have to think differently but so does everyone else and like it or not, society has no choice but to step in and up if we are to manage our ageing population safely and with kindness.

I think like this as we prepare to visit my mother again next week. Three weeks of carers and already no-one turned up today and last week they came on the wrong day. Twice in three weeks might not sound too bad, but when you can't get her out of bed without help and depend on the support to keep her skin clean and dry, no care means her having no option but to be in bed all day. Don’t forget that social services care is not free. We need to find and encourage the right people to do these important but unsung roles. When the Government talk about more Doctors and nurses, I wonder if like the miracle workers of old, they know how to turn pebbles into people, because they just aren’t out there. With a minimum of four years training for most qualifications we need to think differently and innovatively now. The people who largely enable people to remain at home and are carrying out things like washing, dressing, transport aren’t NHS at all but are run by Social services and its these services that appear to be harder than ever to get. We must think “together” – them and us simply won’t do it. And yet providers where many of the answers lie, feel as if they don’t have a voice with the three or four different commissioning/government bodies put there to decide who gets what.

 My father struggles on, washing, cleaning, dressing, feeding and the cycle continues endlessly and at 79 I don’t think he has a voice. He’s from that generation that believes that if you’re entitled to it, someone will tell you, is reverent to those in authority and doesn’t like to ask for help. He doesn’t get out and can’t get out due to his 24 hour a day, 365 days a year responsibility – neither do they have a large circle of friends or support structure. I am his voice and I fight for their requirements. Without my voice and that of my Sisters I cant imagine my mum would still be in her own home living the best life possible . Those with a voice, even if it's not their own, are more likely to get care. My worries are for those without this. Not all people can get out of the house to attend the services that exist and once they are housebound, it can feel as if life revolves around routine and chores rather than snippets of laughter and joy.

My scholarship has been a tonic for me - it's given me energy and experience to understand that there are many possibilities and such a lot of good is already going on. When I went to the Alzheimer’s Society I was really, impressed to see  all the good things they're doing. But it's only good if people know about it. Despite knowing that fantastic initiatives are going on I grow increasingly concerned about the gaps, the people with no voices whilst also being relieved that there are so many people about there who really do appear to care. Perhaps together we can make a real difference and give people a voice.

Over the next few weeks I'm working on different areas around diversity and even if it's not dementia, I think this informal knowledge will heighten my ability to lead the agenda.

So only a few weeks after the election, suddenly the NHS is much quieter, MPs have a  pay rise and the “good news is no news” continues with news of poorly performing Trusts, potential strikes and Trusts in deficit. I say again- there isn’t a day goes by that I don’t feel humbled and honoured to be a nurse when I see my staff- from all disciplines - in action- rising above adversity to do the best they can for their patients. The NHS is to be cherished – and those of us in it continue to fly the banner for free health care for all – together we can do it!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment